Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to replace ceiling fan with light?

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:49:12 PM UTC-4, Metspitzer wrote:
On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:27:23 GMT, wrote:

Have been commissioned to remove ceiling fan and install a ceiling light

(she no longer wants fan) so anyway took fan down and there are 4

wires..........what is the red wire for? I am thinking black and white and

ground are all that is needed for a light and to just tape red wire and not

connect. any advise appreciated.

Actually, if I were wiring it, the red would be for the light.

It is pretty easy to make sure with a tester. The wire you want to

hook the light will toggle on and off with the switch.

The black would be hot all the time. The red would be switched.

Maybe..... It depends. If it's a typical fan/light, with
a wall switch to control it, then the black would not be hot
all the time. One wire goes to fan motor, one wire goes to
the light. Neither is hot all the time. He needs to figure out
which wire goes on/off with the light switch. Then put a wire
nut on the other one.