Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default how to replace ceiling fan with light?

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 18:27:23 GMT, wrote:

Have been commissioned to remove ceiling fan and install a ceiling light
(she no longer wants fan) so anyway took fan down and there are 4
wires..........what is the red wire for? I am thinking black and white and
ground are all that is needed for a light and to just tape red wire and not
connect. any advise appreciated.

Actually, if I were wiring it, the red would be for the light.
It is pretty easy to make sure with a tester. The wire you want to
hook the light will toggle on and off with the switch.

The black would be hot all the time. The red would be switched.