Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_2_] Bill Wright[_2_] is offline

Default Drilling and tapping stainless

Andy Burns wrote:
At some point in the next week or two, I'll want to drill and tap a
dozen holes into stainless steel tube, this is 2mm wall thickness, 42mm
diameter handrail, I'll have a 100-200mm offcut to practice on.

Now, we didn't do metalworking at school,

No, I wasn't allowed to because I was GCE material so metalwork would
have been 'wasting my time'.

so I'm lacking in the basics,
but a bit of searching seems to suggest ...

For M5 bolts, use a 4.2mm drill, assuming it's 0.8mm course pitch (need
to check)

Are you sure that's right?

hopefully an 18V cordless drill/driver isn't going to struggle?
Take it very steady.

Drill slowly to avoid work-hardening

Lubricate (use WD40 at a push)

As I'm tapping through, rather than into, the steel use a spiral point,
rather than spiral flute, tap.

What flavour of HSS (cobalt, vanadium, extra vanadium, nitride/oxide
coating etc) does the tap need to be to cope with 304 stainless?

I see 1/4" hex shank taps are available, e.g.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/threading-taps/6699384

Will these work OK in the drill/driver? Or should I hand tap?

Oh God, hand tap! It will be a total ****-up otherwise. It's a bit of an
art. Practice first.
Buy the tap that only makes a shallow thread, use that first, then the
normal one.

Given I'm unlikely to ever want/need a full tap/die set, can you buy
screwdriver or T-handle style single taps?

No use the crossbar type. You have to put quite a lot of force into it.
But you also have to have a precise and careful touch.

Any other tips appreciated.

Don't do it!

Bill