Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default rifling button pusher

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:18:22 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

follow up

found long HSS rounds he
http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...D-STEEL/Detail

The vendor told me you need a 5 ton press. I'll watch PSI when i run
to know actual force.

Karl

How are you planning to avoid any bowing of the pusher rod? How are
you going to make sure the pusher travels perfectly in line with the
barrel bore at the beginning of the pushing? I have done a lot of work
on a hydraulic press and have seen what happens when stuff comes out
of the press or breaks and then comes out of the press. I think if I
wanted to do what you are doing I would put the HSS rod into a
cylinder and thread the barrel into one end of the cylinder. I would
then seal the cylinder holding the pusher with a seal incorporated
into a piston, thread a fitting into the cylinder portion above the
piston and use oil and a port-a-power pump, or even a grease gun
filled with thin grease, to force the pusher into the barrel. Just my
two cents. Let us know how it works.
Eric