Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris K[_2_] Chris K[_2_] is offline

Default Smart Electricity meters - Should I want one

wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
I want one that speaks or can be downloaded in real time to a bog standard
textual file I can read on my computer. (etc)

As Dave said, you don't want a smart meter, what you want is a remote monitor
with appropriate connection to your computer. Too many politicians who don't
know what they're talking about have confused the issue by using the names
and functionalities of two completely different devices interchangably.

JGH

Trouble is the smart meter may be slick and smart but it is not on your
side and is not acting in your interest. A smart meter that was acting
for you would be able to negotiate the best price and switch supplier on
an hour by hour basis and signal to your appliances when it had a good
deal to do the washing in the early morning...

As it is, it is mainly for the power company's convenience with no
guarantees as to how it looks after information it now has about when
your house is occupied.

Chris K