Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smart Electricity meters - Should I want one

On 2013-09-21, Terry Fields wrote:
F wrote:

On 20/09/2013 15:57 Terry Fields wrote:

These days, like lines of pensioners queueing outside a
possibly-collapsing bank, this sort of thing is very bad publicity
for the government. They have made it a law to keep the news of
possible bank failures secret, so that gets rid of that particular
embarrassment.

Really? Not heard of that one. When did it happen?

Since banks started to fall over. It was mentioned in a report a few
years ago, but apart from noting the item, I didn't keep a reference,
and being unfamiliar with banking regulation terminology, can't advise
where it might be found.

It could be argued that since deposits are guaranteed up to a
certain level, a run on a bank by wrinklies effectively neither
helps them or the bank, hence the regulation. The US has a similar
scheme to restrict such publication.

I don't believe you.

And it may be "guaranteed" but how long does it take to see your money?

I had some dosh in an icelandic bank and moved it out quick. Glad I did
because the bank went bang a few months later.

Reading this on the web? See: