Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare[_2_] Michael Chare[_2_] is offline

Default Smart Electricity meters - Should I want one

On 20/09/2013 15:57, Terry Fields wrote:

So, the government needs to deal with this uncomfortable situation yet
get itself off the hook. The method? Smart meters!

You pay the £11bn cost, and the electricity companies can now change
the price of electricity moment by moment, the
near-instantanous readings being sent by the smart meter so there's no
escape except to turn things off. So, at no cost to itself, the
government can say 'nothing to do with us, sunshine', while
pensioners freeze and we all get used to using cooking the evening
meal at midnight and using the washing-machine at 3:00am.

Of course, having the smart meters in place beforehand means that they
know your usage pattern, so any attempt to fiddle the meter will stand
out.

I think it would be a brave government that would allow the power
companies to bring in dynamic pricing to a greater extent than we have
it now.

There is a conundrum :I can see that more information about my
electricity usage is useful to me, but my enthusiasm for sharing this
data with others is somewhat limited.

What I need is my own wired in smart meter.

--
Michael Chare