Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

On 9/18/2013 11:05 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

Is there a gentler alternative that makes sense? Obviously, just not
putting nails through the beam is one possibility (though it wouldn't
be as strong, and it might not be as nice if the beams move). Is
there a suitable screw or another suitable nail, etc? Related
thoughts?

Were none of the other suggestions that folks submitted workable for you
Bill?

It appears that you and Woodchucker both already suggested screws
through the end grain (from the outside). I have been so much "in the
present" that I forgot that idea. My bad. I'd still avoid new screws on
the outside if it was a choice. I guess I just need to choose some with
colored heads.

Bill

Did I? I thought I brought the joist hanger up.

Look, it's a stair, not a floor. A floor has to handle thousands of
pounds across it. 20 people in a room, furniture...

Use the joist hanger with some 1 1/4 or 1" screws.. you'll be fine...

--
Jeff