Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PrecisionmachinisT PrecisionmachinisT is offline

Default rifling button pusher

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:35:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 05:18:44 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

I just bought a rifling button so I can make my own 9mm barrels
http://tinyurl.com/kdn8mzg

You need a five ton press to push this button down a barrel to form
the rifling. OK, what would be the highest strength steel i can get
for the pusher. I looked for HSS and couldn't find anything long
enough. looked for already hardened drill rod. It must be out there
but no joy so far.

My first barrels will be 12", want to do 16" in the future.

Karl

If the bar can be 0.35" diameter, you're looking at less than 0.1 ^2
in. of area. Yikes. You need 100 ksi compressive yield strength in
the
bar to handle the full five tons.

Would a Grade 8 bolt shank (or a stack of them) be strong enough?

jsw

Supposedly their tensile yield strength is 130 ksi. Compressive
strength should be similar.

It's no a lot of margin, but it theoretically should be OK. I'd worry
about a stack scratching up the bore.

A piston rod salvaged from an automotive type gas spring would probably work fine.