Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default rifling button pusher

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 9:00:34 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

Thanks for the carbide lead. A push button was in my (super cheapo)

price range.

I'm going to modify a turret plate with a 1.375 square by real long

gundrill tool holder. Drill 12", back up and stop. Loosen holder,

slide ahead, restart drilling. I'd use a manual lathe but the hardinge

has a nice flood coolant setup and complete enclosure.

Karl

Ahhh, very clever that.

I would think your push bar problem is less about compression and more about bowing.
An uneven force will cock the button off center for a bad result...as far as I understand it.

I've heard of using hydraulic force to push a button through a (threaded) barrel.
I wonder if some type of a grease gun would have enough pressure?

Will look forward to updates on your progress.

I am still hoping to make a reproduction rifled barrel for my .177 air pistol some day.

--
PaulS