Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Deck Repair w/Trex (and link to jpg)

On 9/18/2013 7:11 PM, Bill wrote:
The beams will thus be 12" between centers.

I don't build as many decks as John, but I have built many houses with
large front porches and balconies using composite decking, and I always
spec that joists in these structures leading to any entry way, and at
least 2' on either side of said entry way, are on 12" centers, not 16".

Not required by either code, or for warranty purposes with composite
decking, but IMNSHO makes for a better product over time in those high
traffic areas.

Nothing indicts the builder's attention to detail worse than walking up
to someone's front door and feeling spring under your feet.

In my case, 48" 2by8s will be
carrying "the load", in fact a somewhat weathered 2by8s--and it's
difficult to consider pounding twelve 10d (3") nails into them without
causing destruction of the existing "box" (so I am hesitant to do
that).

If you're worried about them standing the test of time due to age, go
ahead and "sister" them. (IOW, nail new joists up against the old, and
also into the butting rim joists).

BTW, Swingman, I now better understand why you document how long
it takes to get certain details done (like securing materials). Because,
in reality, things seem to take longer than one might anticipate--and
one will do well to remember that!

The devil, along with lasting success, is always in the details.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net