Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? Home Depot Is Accused of Shaking Down Suspected Shoplifters

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 7:41:38 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
Yes, but I just see the whole idea of arguing with someone on the

internet to be a big waste of time because neither person is going to

change the other's opinion. No one is ever going to say:

"By golly, you're right! I just never thought of it that way before.

Thanks for setting me straight!"

Won't happen. All that ends up happening is that the discussion turns

into an argument and the argument turns into a name calling/insult

hurling contest, and that turns into two people not speaking to each

other on the board for a few months. It's kind of inevitable how things

seem to always work out that way online.

Maybe better to avoid that path right from the start cuz it always leads

to the same end result; two people not talking to each other because the

other one is stupid.

.. --

nestork

See, here's the difference. I couldn't care less if I never engage
with the person in question again. No loss there. You have this
moral equivalency concept, you're basically claiming that all statements
here are just as valid. I provided citations
to the definition of "shoplifting" and to an example of shoplifting law.
KRW has provided just his flapping gums.
It's clearly *not* shoplifting if a cashier by mistake somehow fails to scan one of many items that you've placed on the counter to be scanned. That is what krw has claimed. Do you believe that? It's not shoplifting, because
shoplifting requires that it be done on purpose, by the customer, with
the intent of stealing.
Do you believe him when he claims he checks with 100% certainty that the cashier has correctly scanned ever single item in a shopping cart full
of stuff at the supermarket? Maybe if 10 people told him he's wrong,
he'd start to learn. That's what finally happened in the thread where he
was all wrong about 4 wire vs 3 wire oven connections, yet he kept digging
himself deeper. It took two EE's and an electrician or two. When someone blows smoke in your face, you may choose to accept it, but not me.

As for the name calling, I reject your assertion that I'm equally at fault.
Go look back at not only this thread, but all the other threads where KRW
starts hurling insults at everyone and anyone, especially as soon as they
correct him on something. Look at who's started the name calling. He's
called me idiot, moron, stupid, etc. I believe about the most I've said in response to all that in this thread is that he's making an ass of himself.