Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default close call

On 9/18/2013 9:48 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Even careful people can get burned.
I was back in the shop tonight, just a few minutes ago my hand almost
hit the TS blade.

I was prepping some wood, and threw the offcut in the bucket, but it
missed. I didn't know it landed one step away. I left the saw running
while I went to pick up the next piece to rough cut. And that's when I
stepped on the offcut rolled my ankle and wound up with my hand inches
from disaster.

Some of you may say I should have shut it, but when doing a lot of rough
cutting I just grab the next piece... but I get it.

Too close for comfort.. My ankle will be sore tomorrow... when the
adrenaline stops pumping.

You may wish to consider my solution to cutting many pieces of wood with
the same saw setup.

I built a bench that is on wheels. It is the same height as the table
on my saw. When doing multiple cuts, I move the bench into a position
next to the saw. All I have to do is rotate toward the bench, pick up
the piece, rotate back to the saw, make the cut, Rotate back to the
bench deposit the newly cut piece and pick up the next. No bending, No
major movement. If something falls off of the saw or bench I have to
get away from the saw to retrieve it.

This bench also functions as my work bench and has shelves for storage
underneath and cabinets in the ends.

When ripping it can be moved to the far side of the saw to accept the
boards as it comes off of the saw.