Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

Default rifling button pusher

On Thursday, September 19, 2013 6:18:44 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:
I just bought a rifling button so I can make my own 9mm barrels

http://tinyurl.com/kdn8mzg

You need a five ton press to push this button down a barrel to form

the rifling. OK, what would be the highest strength steel i can get

for the pusher. I looked for HSS and couldn't find anything long

enough. looked for already hardened drill rod. It must be out there

but no joy so far.

My first barrels will be 12", want to do 16" in the future.

Karl

Hi,

Would a solid carbide bar work as a pusher?

5/16" by 12" sold here for instance:

http://centennialcarbide.com/product...ng-micrograin/

This is why pulling buttons is preferred of course.

Didn't you say you were doing the gun drilling on a Hardinge CNC?
If so, don't they have a max of 12" in Z axis travel?
How's that all going to work out?

G'luck,
--

PaulS