Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Threaded Rod As A Wheelbarrow Axle?

DerbyDad03 wrote:
What would happen if I used 5/8" threaded rod as a wheelbarrow axle?

I need to replace the wheel on my wheelbarrow. The wheelbarrow is
used for light duty homeowner tasks, like yard work, not for hauling
concrete or bricks.

All of the new wheels have a 5/8" ID for the bearing, but my original
axle is just over 5/8" and doesn't fit into the bearing. I can get a
3 foot piece of 5/8" solid rod for $8-$9 or I can get a 1" piece of
5/8" threaded rod for $1.50. Since both of them need to be cut,
that's a wash, so I'm really just trying to save a few bucks as well
as being curious.

Will the threaded rod chew up the bearing casing? The wheel I plan to
use has a built-in grease fitting if that makes any difference.

My other option is to grind down my original axle on my bench
grinder. It won't be as rough as the threaded rod, but it sure won't
be as smooth as new solid rod. As a test, I ground down about a half
inch on one end and it will fit if I keep going. Obviously, that's
free, other than my time.

I'm still curious about using the threaded rod though.

Ball bearings, probably no problem. Sleeve bearings will wear fast.