Stephen M

Default First day with Kreg Rocket Jig Pocket Hole System

You can get lucky on occasion but clamps are the correct
and recommended method.

By the way... putting the screws in by hand is a tad easier
in some cases. This also cuts down on "spin-out" of screws.

Kreg reccomends the use of a drill with a clutch. My old Hitachi cordless
drill does not have a clutch but it is relatively low-powered (torque) and
has a nice tactile/responsive trigger; that setup works pretty well.. With
my Panasonic cordless drill, I *have to* use the clutch and that works well
too. My Bosch corded drill w/o clutch would not work well at all.

Yes I would imagine that screwing by hand could be preferable to the wrong
drill for the job, particularly in softwoods.

-Steve