Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default New Generac Liquid Cooled Generator discharges batteries

On 09/17/13 05:18 pm, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Julio Rey"caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_8021@example .com wrote in
message roups.com...
We purchased a new Generac Stand-by liquid cooled generator, got installed
by same certified electrician that did my neighbor's generator. The unit
worked fine during testing, but failed to perform the weekly self-start.
Upon inspection the panel, it was also blank - no power.
We returned the NEW battery, got a NEW replacement, and the unit started
right away.
I inspected the panel a few days later, and it was emitting a "Check
Battery" message.
Called Generac South (a servicing dealer for our area), the technician
came, but could not find the problem - claimed that it probably was a
"vapor lock" that stopped the alternator from charging the battery.
Does anyone else is experience this problem?

I don't know about the problem, but if I was told 'vapor lock' I would have
ran the technnician off right then. If the generator had vapor lock , it
would not start. Vapor lock involves the fuel system and has nothing to do
with the alternator.

A new battery should not have needed to be charged within a few days.
ISTM that there are two problems rather than one: (a) the battery is
running down very quickly -- more quickly than normal; AND (b) the
battery-monitoring and charging circuitry is faulty.

Perce