Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_4_] Tim+[_4_] is offline

Default Gas Pipe into property using old steel pipe.

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Jethro_uk
scribeth thus
On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:42:58 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
scribeth thus
On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 19:04:41 +0100, polygonum wrote:

My experiences of gas leaks over the past five to ten years
suggests to me that they have absolutely no idea where a huge
proportion of gas goes. They might know to the kilowatt hour
exactly how much they push down the pipes - and then they lose
track of it.

When I worked for British Gas "Central Control", we'd vent cubic
*kilometres* of gas from offtakes when undertaking pigging runs.
The CAA had to be informed, as planes flying overhead could
conceivably crash ...

What's a "pigging run" please?...

Others have answered for me - it was a remote controlled device for
inspecting the inside of the high pressure (75Bar) pipes. Only back
in the 80s they couldn't work in gas, so stretches of pipe would be
isolated and vented ... methane is lighter than air so goes *up*.

Learn summatt every day..

Funnily enough, there was a theory which had some vogue a few years
ago, that the Bermuda Triangle was actually an undersea phenomenon
which sporadically released large burps of methane ... which would
make it impossible to float or fly over .....

Interesting concept must have been a hellauva burp to have done
that!..

Sub-sea earthquake causing a "landslide" reducing the pressure on methane
hydrates which then gassify. It could happen conceivably and would be a
good explanation for a lot of Bermuda triangle "events".

Tim