Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Doubled up video head appearence?

On 17/09/2013 12:39, Bruce Esquibel wrote:
N_Cook wrote:
a close-up pic of Sony EV S700 , video 8 JOG, doubled up head
http://diverse.4mg.com/video8.jpg
ignore the well in the aluminium, dark enamelled coil on left, clear
enamel on right and two dark glass/ceramic linear features with a large
gap, compared to normal gap, as designed or part broken away?
As rounded edges, I would say as designed

I think you mean "dual azimuth", not "doubled up".

The picture is of one but it's difficult to say if it's broken, the ferrite
material is hard to see.

Generally it was one peice of ferrite with two cuts in it, one side was
"wider" than the other and the two heads were separated by a finger from the
cuts.

If anything, it does look like the side by the red coils is broken towards
the center, where the finger would be, but like I said, is hard to say from
that picture.

I don't think parts for those were much available past the mid 90's but keep
in mind I think that machine was also marketed as a Pioneer VE-D70. That one
I might still have the service manual for, not sure.

-bruce

SG once of this parish
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/head6.gif
is the only pic I can find
one broken and one good dual head.
I see now that the central ceramic pillar of only about 0.2mm width that
has a few shared turns of dark and clear wire would have had an
extension out and then 2 now missing gaps, no wonder they break , there
is hardly any meat to that sort of construction