Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default twin motor phase converter

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in news:0NydnV10J-Sc-
:

I would get the
appropriate VFD and be done with it. Obviously, I'm missing something.

IF you have the motors already, it's cheap. IF you can live with the
imbalance of phases that's likely to occur (usually fine when running
motors, and _can_ be tuned out) it works nicely. They usually occupy a
good deal of space (although I've converted a machine's own 3-phase motor
to run on single-phase with caps and a start relay, in the past)

VFD's tend to be noisy electrically, and more expensive than "scrap-
built" rotary converters. They're also quieter acoustically.

Rotary converters and rotary generators used to be the only way to
accomplish the task, so they stick around, and might even suit better
depending on budget and space.

Lloyd