Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Gas Pipe into property using old steel pipe.

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 16/09/2013 14:16, Muddymike wrote:

Don't for one minute think I am recommending this course of action
but I did know a guy some 40 years ago that found a pipe just like
the one you describe in the basement of an old house he had just
bought. A few months later he had full gas central heating and hot
water running off it. He lived there for at least ten years and
never did get a gas meter!

¬)

Perish the thought...
Got an engineer booked in got a Live/Dead check on the weekend.
The original street pipe was replaced with plastic one last year so

I'd have hoped they might have hooked all properties at the time
rather than now have to come and dig the road back up to connect the
occasional house. Time will tell.

Well considering that they now remove unused gas supplies to houses[1] and
that involves digging the road up, I would be surprised if they would add an
unused supply to a house.

[1] My friend applied to buy his council house. It had a gas supply but no
gas appliances. Just before the completion date Transco (or whatever)
informed him that they were removing the unused gas supply. Now the first
thing he wanted to do when he bought the house was install gas CH so he
explained the situation to them (ie in 6 weeks time he would be needing gas
so could they leave it in). And sure as hell they removed the gas the day
before he bought the house (for free) and then had to reconnect another 6
weeks later (at his expense).

--
Adam