Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 05:08:15 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Yes, I can see the combination of ether and spark
being a real blast. I'm glad you were not injured.
Sorry to hear there was a lot of damage to the car.

.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

On 9/15/2013 8:04 PM, micky wrote:

I did something like that with my brother's car.

It wouldn't start, parked face first in a garage, going to be hard to
jump the battery so I was trying to same battery time. Sprayed ether
in the carb to help it start at the same time I used a jumper wire to
crank the engine, with a spark plug wire off and a screwdriver in the
connector to see if there was a spark.

The thing exploded in my face. But I didn't move a bit. Good thing
or I would have driven the edge of the hood into the back my neck. Or
banged my head on the inside of the hood. No injuries, no burns.

I was fine but the valve cover near me had lifted up from the head in
5 or 6 places, between bolts. A couple of the bolt holes in the
valve cover were ripped open.

Maybe I should have tried the Ford dealer. Or I did and they had to
order it. Ordering parts too much longer in those days (1973) and I
couldn't tell my brother that his car wasn't ready. All I tried were
auto-parts stores and they didn't sell original-quality valve covers.
In NYC auto junk yards are far away, I think. I didn't know of any,
still don't.

So I bought a pair of chrome valve covers, and only put on one of
them. I'm glad my brother is an understanding guy. Especially since
I didn't get his car started for him iirc.

Must have used an INSANE amount of ether to blow the valve covers
off. Either that or it was very badly flooded witha lot of gasoline in
the crankcase!!! It definitely wasn't because of a little spritz of
ether into the intake.