Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:05:15 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:22:25 PM UTC-7, WW wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

The hread about freon, etc. was very educational.

Brought up a question bothering me: How can one tell if FE is still OK?

Mine is a very old Kidde, big red puppy; A.B.C. Indicator is still in the

green, albeit leaning toward the left (recharge).

Has never been used(thank goodness!)

However, I don't want to find out the hard way that it is over the hill.

Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me; I'm just

ignorant!

The new ones that size range from $40+ on up. I'm not trying to nickel &

dime my home's safety; just want to know if there's a way to test this.

If the test shows it's still good, fine. If it shows no good, at least I

know what to do, $$ notwithstanding.

Any help appreciated.

HB

After reading all the replies, I will check mine with the balance then shake

and recheck balance. I keep one in each vehicle. One in kitchen. One in

garage and two in basement and work shop area. Thanks for all the answers

found here. WW

Me Three! Stuff I did not know, like upending and shaking to loosen up possibly caked powder!

Didn't he miss the point here, guys? I suppose it's hard to tell
without being inside, but one isn't supposeed to have to shake so hard
he loosens caked powder. If the powder is caked when you start
shaking it, it will be caked again within a month, I presume is what
was meant.

Think I will get another for the kitchen.

Inspection, sounds like that would be for business, not private home. Interesting thought: Would fire insurance not pay or pay less if homeowner hadn't had any FEs in the house?

OK, this has been wunderbar. You guys may have saved somebody's *** among the AHRrs who are reading this exchange.

HB