Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:59:11 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:20:42 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

I heard about a part time employee who absentmindedly
leaned on a dry chem unit that was hanging on the
wall. The resulting discharge shut down the fast food
restaurant for the rest of the day for cleaning.

I know a guy who set off the Ansul system in his restaurant. In the
process of cleaning up the mess, he threw out all of the food in his
walk-in and freezer. The next day he found out that the "chemical"
was baking soda. D'oh!

After I used my ABC FE on my oven, and days before the window in front
of the oven broke, I realized I could not possibly clean well a
continuously cleaning oven. So I called an FE company and asked what
if some of the powder fell on the food, and he said, Not a problem.

The opposite; a cow-orker had a kitchen fire and used a dry-chemical
FW to put out the fire. The chemical ruined every switch and piece of
electronics in the house. When the insurance agent found out what
happened, he said it would have been better to do nothing.

Huh. I wonder what that was. My cheap kidde ABC, about as big as a
small propane gas tank for a hand held torch, that sprays powder was
used on the top of the oven too, but didn't damage anything. The
range hood is still fine, the radios in the room, the tv.