Posted to alt.home.repair
Higgs Boson[_2_] Higgs Boson[_2_] is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

On Sunday, September 15, 2013 4:22:25 PM UTC-7, WW wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

The hread about freon, etc. was very educational.

Brought up a question bothering me: How can one tell if FE is still OK?

Mine is a very old Kidde, big red puppy; A.B.C. Indicator is still in the

green, albeit leaning toward the left (recharge).

Has never been used(thank goodness!)

However, I don't want to find out the hard way that it is over the hill.

Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me; I'm just

ignorant!

The new ones that size range from $40+ on up. I'm not trying to nickel &

dime my home's safety; just want to know if there's a way to test this.

If the test shows it's still good, fine. If it shows no good, at least I

know what to do, $$ notwithstanding.

Any help appreciated.

HB

After reading all the replies, I will check mine with the balance then shake

and recheck balance. I keep one in each vehicle. One in kitchen. One in

garage and two in basement and work shop area. Thanks for all the answers

found here. WW

Me Three! Stuff I did not know, like upending and shaking to loosen up possibly caked powder!

Think I will get another for the kitchen.

Inspection, sounds like that would be for business, not private home. Interesting thought: Would fire insurance not pay or pay less if homeowner hadn't had any FEs in the house?

OK, this has been wunderbar. You guys may have saved somebody's *** among the AHRrs who are reading this exchange.

HB