Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

On 9/15/2013 4:52 PM, Liz Megerle wrote:
The trainer for my work emergency response team told us that dry powder
extinguishers should be turned upside down every few years to keep the
powder from forming a clump.
If you listen carefully as you do so, you'll hear the powder flow. Tap
it if necessary to get it started.

Now THAT sounds like really good advice. Whether or not it is, who
cares? It certainly cannot hurt anything.

On the topic of having them "checked out" be forewarned that that can be
a really expensive proposition. Had the extinguisher in my office
checked out (was overdue for "inspection") and was only three years or
so old. Grabbed the guy in the truck who happened to be at the business
next door doing theirs. Asked if he could check out and tag the near
new, never used, dry chemical extinguisher.

Sure can! He did his quicky inspection, tagged it and handed me a bill
for $45. Brand new, comparable unit will run about $90 if I shop
carefully. If/when the fire inspectors come in from the city and demand
a reinspection, I'll just buy a new one and take the other home for my shop.