Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

Close to what I'd been about to write. Short answer: NO.
Please do not test squirt the unit. The dry chemical
gets stuck in the valve, and the rest of the pressure
leaks out in the next day or two.

As Bob says, buy another. They are about $25 or so at
Walmart.

If you want to hang onto this one, and "do something",
keep the pin in. Take the unit, tip it upside down and
shake it seriously. Thump the tank with a rubber mallet,
and shake it some more. This will help keep the powder
from caking. Or, free it up if it's caked.

Trivia; With dry chem units, it's a good idea to invert
and shake on the way to the fire. You don't know how long
the unit has been in one place. Lever and gauges on top
when operating.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/15/2013 3:49 PM, Bob F wrote:
Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me;
I'm just ignorant!

My understanding is that once the lever is used, the extinguisher will lose its
pressure over time and should be replaced or recharged. Personally, I'd buy a
new one if I was worried about it, so you have one for sure if the old one is
dead. But as long as it shows the proper pressure, it should be OK.