Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

Higgs Boson wrote:
The hread about freon, etc. was very educational.

Brought up a question bothering me: How can one tell if FE is still
OK?

Mine is a very old Kidde, big red puppy; A.B.C. Indicator is still
in the green, albeit leaning toward the left (recharge).

Has never been used(thank goodness!)

However, I don't want to find out the hard way that it is over the
hill.

Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me;
I'm just ignorant!

My understanding is that once the lever is used, the extinguisher will lose its
pressure over time and should be replaced or recharged. Personally, I'd buy a
new one if I was worried about it, so you have one for sure if the old one is
dead. But as long as it shows the proper pressure, it should be OK.