Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default The adverse effects of legislating efficiency:

On 9/14/2013 4:26 PM, wrote:

Which had its own unintended consequences. I used to do fire

investigations in a heavily Amish area right about the time the Carbon

tet ban was taking effect. The Amish, among others, used it heavily in

their chimney fires.

So, we rolled up on this pretty well gutted house and found 2-3

regular fire extinguishers just sitting there full loaded in the

fireplace. The chief told us that he was going to have a couple of fire

extinguisher sessions at the local Amish hall to let them know that you

couldn't just throw them into the fireplace, have them bust open and

take care of the fire.

--

I'm not sure I get this.... I remember the old carbon tetrachloride
fire extinguishers that you pumped to squirt it on the fire. You're

I think you could toss a glass bottle of carbon tet and have it break
open. I recall glass "bombs" in holders for that purpose.