Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default The true cost of wind...

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 13:08:03 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

You can't just pump it into mines and wells as geological
instabilities may release it and it may pollute ground water or cause
minor tremors.

I wouldn't've thought that pumping it into suitably sealed reservoirs
in mines deep underground would be any more likely to cause geological
side effects than the original mining operations did. These did cause
some, but AIUI mostly subsidence caused by the original removal of
material - replacing it with something else is unlikely to be so
much of a problem.

Well exactly. They worry about long term storage of a few tonnes of
radioactive material - a few gigatonnes of CO2 is 'hand waved' away..

It's no more hand waved away than is storage of nuclear material, but,
unlike the latter, this is still very new technology, so there are
much greater uncertainties with it.

Not sure what pressure CO2 goes liquid at, but pumping it to the sea
floor might work..but what effect would THAT have?

I believe that has been mooted as one possible method. I've not heard
of your other suggestions, presumably because, as you suggest, they're
unlikely to work.