Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default The true cost of wind...

On 13/09/2013 23:56, Java Jive wrote:
On 13 Sep 2013 21:49:47 GMT, Terry Fields
wrote:

IIRC, and I suspect you might have glossed over the point, that the
issue arose during what I seem to recall as being a 'CO2 from power
generation must be captured at all costs' phase. While the precise
exchange might not have linked the two directly, the context was
there in the contemporaneous threads that you were discussing.

I was and remain in favour of us investing in carbon capture rather
than nuclear technologies, because strategically it makes more sense
for us, because we have significant reserves of carbon-based fuels,
particularly coal and gas, while we have no strategic reserves of
nuclear fuels. That was also the context of that discussion, and I
stand by what I said in it.

Which carbon capture technologies exist that can guaranty long term
storage of the carbon dioxide?

You can't just pump it into mines and wells as geological instabilities
may release it and it may pollute ground water or cause minor tremors.