Posted to uk.d-i-y
Java Jive[_2_] Java Jive[_2_] is offline

Default The true cost of wind...

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:55:07 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

Yes they do, and its a highly skilled operation. The figures don't lie, but the
interpretation of them in a rush can as there was actually a 221MW pickup
between 1930 and 1935 - so 74000 3kW kettles, or 0.3% of the households in the
UK got up and switched their kettles on at the end of the 1900-1930 episode of
Emmerdale.

Which is the impression I remember.

Against a background of the load dropping at a rate of just under 4GW per hour
or 50MW per minute it's neither here nor there and certainly not worth
considering investing billions in some half assed storage technology in every
household in the country for.

This seems rather contradictory to the paragraph above. However, I
have no particular knowledge of the NG other than the general, from
programmes like the one I've mentioned and what one or two more
knowledgeable people here have posted. From those sources, I'd
gathered that there was a significant problem keeping variable supply
met from constant sources. Someone more knowledgeable than myself may
be prepared to argue the point with you, but unless and until that
happens, I am happy to concede it.