Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Uh Oh, metal related. Gluing glass to metal?

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:15:21 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

I'm kinda surprised that no PEs have suggested that the existing
glass
window wasn't designed to be handled in the manner Eric is
suggesting.
That's some major torque in what? A 2sq/in area on each side.

Ungluing the window should reduce the load on the glass unless its
latch is too constraining. My hatch is all glass below the hinge bar.
The latch is a hook through a squared loop, like a car door, that
allows some sideways motion. Unlike a door there are no locating
wedges to control side play. However the lower door which supports the
spare wheel has a large metal "wedge striker" restraining it on the
latch side.

I thought he was removing the glass from the frame to hinge it
directly. That seems like a whole lot more stress to me.

You bought the HF solar panel kit, right? One of the Schottkys that
blocks reverse leakage out to the panels failed short on mine. I
replaced both with one 10A 50V Schottky diode. A temporary silicon
diode's higher voltage drop cost about 0.1A at 2A.

Yeah. A tenth amp drop beats zero output, huh?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056RHMCG/..._26725410_item
I needed several Si diode replacements elsewhere, and shipping from
other 'cheaper' sources brought them to about the same total. Their
reverse leakage jumps above ~100uA at 48-50V as though they were
rejects from an automatic tester. It's respectably low up to 30V.
Above 4A forward current they heat up, as shown by a dropping VF.
Below it VF holds steady.

What's your max wattage now from a set of HF panels? I haven't yet
hooked up my emergency lights to the panels. This is my busiest time
for work, so I got as far as cutting conduit and routing the cables
through the wall into my office (central location for the controller),
but I'll wait until a cool morning comes along to climb up in to the
attic to run the wiring. It has been 100F here lately. It's supposed
to rain next week, so that might give me the time and conditions I
need to finish the installation.

These little $3 9W cool white LEDs work well in these $2.99 globe
fixtures. The globe disperses the spot into a floodlike output.
Oh, the 9W LEDs consume 7W, so they're running underpowered and should
have a really nice lifetime. http://tinyurl.com/lnszqr9 $6 cheaper
now. http://tinyurl.com/lokpctl $2.95 ea + $2.99 per shipment s/h.
I can read under one of them, mounted directly overhead on the
ceiling. In open fixtures, they'd be good spots.

--
[Television is] the triumph of machine over people.
-- Fred Allen