Charlie Self

Default Market for old Craftsman Table Saw

Larry Jaques writes:

slipslidinaway asks:

Forgive my ignorance but what would these saws sell for?

Well, see, that's the problem. They won't sell for $75, which is the offer,

and
no one will offer $150 or $175, which is, I think, what he wants.

Remind him that the prices paid for all his equipment, supplies,
and their maintenance are "sunk costs". He'll never get that price
back out of them, so any money he makes selling them is pure profit.

A used motor isn't worth the price of a new one, either.

And a Crapsman, by any other name, would still stink as sweet.

LJ, who buys cheap and sells elevated whenever possible.

I'm not about to remind him. When I have something for sale, I hand it to him
to sell. He invariably gets more for it than I can. He may have to keep the
saws around longer than you or I would like, but eventually he'll get his price
or very close to it. As far as motors go, when you pay $100 for a used motor,
it is not automatically worth $50 afterwards.

He can wait. He doesn't like to wait.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from
man."
H. L. Mencken