Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default thermostat wire

wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 10:12:51 AM UTC-4, Don Wiss wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 00:05:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:27:06 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:25:23 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 02:20:39 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:38:03 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 04:58:30 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

Wireless may be fine for now, but if you switch to a high end system like

Carrier's top-of-the-line Infinity, you have to use their wired thermostat

that goes with the system.

That's good to know. I'll avoid Carrier like the plague.

There are definite advantages to a high end Cariier system. Like variable

speed and precise humidity control.

There are other fish in the pond. Ones that don't lock you into their

system.

An example please. One with variable speed and humidity control. And lets

you use any thermostat to get these features.

Nest will control humidity, assuming the HVAC system will do a

reasonable job. It should be a big stretch to go from there to

whatever it is that the "high end carrier" does. Again, I'm certainly

not in the habit of locking myself into one solution.

Nest will control it only when heating. Carrier's Infinity will also

control humidity for air conditioning. For that you need a variable speed

fan and compressor.

Most a/c units simply have a set point and they turn the unit on and off as

it crosses that point. One with variable speed will always run. The speed

will be what is necessary to keep the temperature right at the set point.

None of this up and down temperature you get with regular air conditioning.

I've lived in a lot of houses and haven't had up and down
AC problems with a basic thermostat. Set it for 75 and it
stays at 75. If you've got ups and downs, it's because you
have a poorly installed system.

I know I can very much tell the temperature change. On a relatively cool,

but very humid day, a regular air conditioner will not get the humidity

out. A variable speed one will.

If it's cool outside, it's never humid inside my house here
in NJ. If it is a bit humid on the couple days a year
when the AC isn't running, I can just turn it on for 30 mins
and the humidity is gone. Hard to justify spending a lot of $$$
for a problem that is almost non-existent.

It is a matter of comfort. But I guess for some people comfort isn't that

important.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).

I'm comfortable. There is no question that an advanced
super duper Carrier, with multi stages, humidity control,
etc can do a better job. But when I went out for quotes
two years ago, the Carrier guy was $6K more than the $8K
quotes for systems that were perfectly fine. The cost/benefit
equation just isn't there. And then, you're stuck with
Carrier's thermostat? I'll bet my Honeywell VisionPro
is easier to program.

Hi,
Still Infinity IAQ full set up needs tweaking to suit the local
situation. I had to interface it with my wireless 'stat and first year
I had to spend some time in summer/winter to make everything
satisfactory to our R2000 spec. house. Yesterday our new house cleaning
lady mentioned "Your house has very little dust build up", Of course IAQ
also maintains clean fresh indoor air.