Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Unskilled labor gets the wages it deserves ( Starvation Wages)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:26:48 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 9:33:41 AM UTC-7, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:26:54 -0700, George Plimpton

wrote:

On 9/12/2013 9:08 AM, Siri Cruise wrote:

In article ,

George Plimpton wrote:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,0,1843147.sto

ry

What you excluded:

For example, the tech sector, which has largely led the economic recovery in

California, requires people with skills for jobs as programmers, software

engineers and similar occupations.

That is partly why employment levels have recovered in the Bay Area � home to

a glut of tech start-ups � and other coastal areas while lagging in the

inland parts of the state.

That is irrelevant to point, except to illustrate how woefully out of

step with 21st century needs our social and educational infrastructure

are.

The tech sector employment growth has been concentrated among

foreigners. The U.S. isn't producing anything close to enough people to

fill those jobs; Asians and some eastern Europeans are getting them.

We get their best. Let's hope we can keep more of them.

Otherwise, the skill demands of the good jobs generally outstrip our

ability to produce them. And that may not be a matter of education; it

may be mostly a matter of how many "above average" people we can

produce -- on the average.

As Iggy says, advancing technology is a cruel master for average

people seeking jobs.

--

Ed Huntress

What a load of horse****. Both of you blooming idiots are completely unable to address the fact that long term machining apprenticeships have now been mostly replaced by short term "machinist" training programs in the USA.

Great -- producing people for jobs of the last century, which are now
in decline.

I guess you aren't aware of CNC and robotics.

Limited, short term training programs don't produce the advanced skill set that modern, high tech, machining job shops require. Scrap king iggy wouldn't know anything about a modern, high tech, machining job shop or what they require and after years igggy can barley machine his way out of a paper bag... just like you "slow" Eddy.

And exactly how many such jobs will there be? Or do you mean jobs like
yours? We only need a handful of Internet bloviators, Jon.

The problem isn't computers or CNC machines for machinists... the problem is the US educational system for machinists isn't adequate and hasn't been adequate for decades. Fix this and you will see manufacturing in the US have a chance at showing what it's really capable of. Keep ignoring this problem, like we have for decades, and watch manufacturing in the USA keep disappearing.

Everybody has a "reason" that manufacturing jobs are declining. Yours
is among the ones that manufacturers and economists have largely
rejected, because it isn't true.

If it were true, they'd simply start raising machinists' salaries
until they filled the available jobs.

When a shop owner says our education system has let him down, what he
means is that he can't find enough cheap machinists.

If only more machinists read algebra.com I'm sure everything would be okay with US manufacturing and our machinist training problem wouldn't exist. What a ****ing joke you two clowns are. The same applies to Mark Wieber and his cult of idiots led by life long losers like Larry Jackass.

The joke that you are is the reason you don't have a job, Jon, and
that you're reduced to talking for free on social networks.

When it comes to modern metalworking this newsgroup has become a circus act filled with clowns.

You're certainly one of them.

--
Ed Huntress