Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Making your own router plate

On 9/12/13 11:41 AM, SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:32:49 AM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
What kind of material do you prefer? 1/4 inch MDF, polycarbonate, some type of sheet metal?

Thanks.

Old school approach is to use a piece of an old laminate counter top.
New school, visit Woodpeckers and spend $100 and get a full set of inserts along with it.

There's something to be said about going totally ghetto and working with
it for a while to determine what you really want and need before
spending the cash.

I built quite a few large bookcases with all the molding and trim work
using my router screwed to the bottom of a makeshift 1/2" melamine table
top. I screwed fences and feather boards right down to the melamine. :-)

Doing it like this helped me determine which of the shiny, expensive
router table features were 'necessary' and which were window dressing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--