Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default thermostat wire

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 00:05:13 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:27:06 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 22:25:23 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 02:20:39 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:38:03 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 04:58:30 -0400, Don Wiss wrote:
Wireless may be fine for now, but if you switch to a high end system like
Carrier's top-of-the-line Infinity, you have to use their wired thermostat
that goes with the system.

That's good to know. I'll avoid Carrier like the plague.

There are definite advantages to a high end Cariier system. Like variable
speed and precise humidity control.

There are other fish in the pond. Ones that don't lock you into their
system.

An example please. One with variable speed and humidity control. And lets
you use any thermostat to get these features.

Nest will control humidity, assuming the HVAC system will do a
reasonable job. It should be a big stretch to go from there to
whatever it is that the "high end carrier" does. Again, I'm certainly
not in the habit of locking myself into one solution.

Nest will control it only when heating. Carrier's Infinity will also
control humidity for air conditioning. For that you need a variable speed
fan and compressor.

Most a/c units simply have a set point and they turn the unit on and off as
it crosses that point. One with variable speed will always run. The speed
will be what is necessary to keep the temperature right at the set point.
None of this up and down temperature you get with regular air conditioning.
I know I can very much tell the temperature change. On a relatively cool,
but very humid day, a regular air conditioner will not get the humidity
out. A variable speed one will.

It is a matter of comfort. But I guess for some people comfort isn't that
important.

Don.
www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).