Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On 9/11/2013 6:03 PM, Michael wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:02:52 PM UTC-5, Ray wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 10:29:57 -0700 (PDT), Michael

wrote:

So for my uses (hobbyist) and price range, I think I've settled on finding a used Jet. Any thoughts on this saw (quality and price)?

Thanks.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/3995302654.html

Have you considered RIDGID 13-Amp 10 in. Model # R4512, I own one and

am quite happy with it.

New price is $1 less than asking price of the Jet.

Ray

According to this guy, this Craftsman saw is the same as the Ridgid R4512. Did you have issues with alignment?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...#reviewsWra p

Criticism13 found this helpful
joelav
Jul 5 , 2012
Be careful of alignment issues
First off, let me clear up some misconceptions. This is NOT a JET, Grizzly, or Rikon saw rebranded. This is NOT a cabinet saw. Even though the motor is enclosed, the trunions are table mounted; not cabinet mounted. This is however, the same basic saw as the Ridgid R4512 with minor cosmetic differences. This saw has 2 fatal flaws that need to be taken into account before purchase, and need to me taken seriously: 1 - The blade is known to change alignment with height adjustment. This will cause your cuts to be off my as much as 1/16" of an inch for every 10" of wood you cut. You could have a difference of almost half an inch if you rip an 8 foot board. That is a very serious problem that will ruin your work. Not only that it creates a dangerous situation. If your rip fence and blade are not in alignment, it creates a dangerous kickback situation. It cannot be fixed, it cannot be adjusted out. Fortunately, there are examples of this saw (and the R4512) that do not have this issue. PL

EASE test your alignment BEFORE you assemble this saw. Google "alignment issues, R4512" and you will find the procedure. It is simple and only requires you install the blade and have a metal ruler handy. If you saw fails this test, return it. It cannot be fixed. 2 - The fence rail is an issue. Because it is in two pieces, when you have the fence closer than 3" to the blade, the clamping force can change the geometry of the fence, causing misalignment. With that said, if you get this saw without the alignment issue, it is an excellent saw. If you are really careful clamping down the fence, you can avoid the geometry change. There are also many aftermarket fences that fit this saw. Again, there is not as much information out there on the craftsman version, but it is nearly identical to the Ridgid R4512. If you want to do additional research before getting this saw, consider all the reviews on the R4512 as well. In addition, the blade is a throw away. I wouldn't even bother cleaning the
grease off and installing it. This is not uncommon and most blades that come with any saw are cheap. You are buying a saw that can provide professional results if properly set up for under 700$. That is a great bargain. Do youself a favor and get a good quality blade or two. If you decide to use the included blade, please do not judge the performance of the saw based on that. I have used it, I can confirm it is terrible. There is no doubt about it. I hope Sears and the others that sell this saw can clear up the manufacturing issues with the trunions. Craftsman has taken a beating lately, and this saw is a real gem and could restore the faith in the brand that our fathers and grandfathers once had. I cannot stress this enough - TEST your saw for the alignment issue. It is extremely common. It cannot be fixed, and it will ruin your work and possibly create a dangerous kickback situation.

You are not going to want a saw with alignment issues!!!!!! THINK OF
YOUR SAFETY.

Far better to spend more for a better saw. If you cannot afford one
now, save until you can.