Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default DAT "video" head replacement?

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message

There's another thing I've just remembered after sleeping - DAT heads were
offset with regards to azimuth, i.e. head A was set at a very different
azimuth to head B, which made it easy to separate certain frequencies
intended for one particular head.

And also, I believe it is possible to lose one head output altogether and
still recover 100% of the data, so presumably the ATF would still work on
one head.
Quite an interesting system, very different to VHS.

(Obviously any tape dropouts or other errors would not be able to be
corrected and would result in a glitch)

Gareth.

And just one more thing, the Alignment Tapes required to align the tape path
I believe were specially recorded with no ATF signals, so the machine to be
aligned would free run.

So it is not possible to make your own alignment tapes using a known good
machine.

I'm sure theres a load more info I've forgotten, and probably quite a few
bits in this thread I have got wrong, but I don't have time to Google the
data as I have broken things to fix instead.

(It is at least 10 years since I actually repaired a DAT)

Cheers,

Gareth.

Gareth.