Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/11/13 1:55 PM, G. Ross wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 9/11/13 12:29 PM, Michael wrote:

So for my uses (hobbyist) and price range, I think I've settled on
finding a used Jet. Any thoughts on this saw (quality and price)?

Thanks.

http://appleton.craigslist.org/tls/3995302654.html

I think $550 is high for that saw. $400 would be reasonable... just my
opinion, of course.
I would want to look inside and underneath before committing. That is
quite a bit of surface rust on the table top. That tells me the owner
never applied a protectant to the top and/or the thing sat in a very
humid environment for a long, long time. I can't tell if the marks on
the bottoms of the legs are mud or rust. If they are rust, I would
definitely want get get a close, inside look at arbor, motor mounts,
belts pulleys, the arbor tilting gears, all the bolts,etc., and with a
flashlight, anywhere you can see inside the motor for signs of rust.

Normally, I would chalk up that table rust to normal humidity/non-use
rusting that occurs on those iron tops. However, in the picture of his
jointer, there appears to be what might be rust on the tops of the
adjustment wheel-cranks.

That is all speculation, obviously, but it's cause for concern. *I*
would want to carefully inspect it as I described above. I would also,
most certainly want to hear and see the thing run. Best case scenario,
that table top rust is just light surface rust and the rest of the saw
is spotless. Worst case, the thing was in a flood. There were a lot of
'flood tools' on craigslist Nashville after the 2010 flood.

I concur. I own one just like that and have never had any problems with
it. But The price and the rust gives me pause.

You might be better able to speak to the price.
From what I can gather, it was about $800, new, is that accurate?

More like $700 When I bought it about 18 years ago. It was a floor
model and they threw in a Jet dust collector like the one in the
picture for $100 more.

--
 GW Ross

 If voting changed anything, they'd