Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Hot switching a VGA signal

Michael Black wrote:

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013, John G wrote:

William Sommerwerck explained on 30/08/2013 :
As far as I know, no monitor can be damaged by yanking the input signal. So
the "burp" while switching shouldn't be a problem.

The only way that I know of that a monitor can be damaged is if it's a
multi-sync model, and it's driven at a scan rate above its highest spec'd
rate. Other than that...

I know this is OLD History but-
The early text only green IBM PC monitors needed a sync pulse from the CPU or
they would "self destruct"
The monitor was powered from the CPU power switch so that it cold not be left
on alone.
Of course that is really long ago history. ^^

That sounds more like legend.

No legend. That early monitor is the reason the original PC had the
power outlet for a monitor on the PC's power supply. I saw more than one
monitor that caught fire from lack of horizontal drive.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.