Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default 25 year old Craftman 10 in 2HP table saw is smoking

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:17:58 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 9/11/13 6:03 PM, Michael wrote:

Ray

According to this guy, this Craftsman saw is the same as the Ridgid

R4512. Did you have issues with alignment?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...#reviewsWra p

One major advantage to newer saws is the riving knife.

It acts as the splitter and never comes off the saw which is nice when

you're not making through cuts or when you need to rake the guard off

for whatever reason.

I would thoroughly investigate that alignment issue because that would

be a deal breaker. If it's something that can be fixed in your first

major set-up and alignment-- in which you adjust the blade, slots, and

fence all parallel to each other-- then no problem. But if the trunnion

mounts are not adjustable/shim-able then it's no better than a $200

bench-top table saw.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)

--

http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

That alignment issue scares me a lot, but it's 10 percent off right now and I've got a 50 dollar gift card somewhere, so that brings the price to $450.00.

If I have the option to return any saw with imperfect alignment, this might work out.