Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What America Wants

Today I made a bushing for the bench grinder in the museum workshop. They could have easily done it, but the staff has been getting things ready for the car show on Sunday. this year the special feature is " High Performance American Cars ".

And then I investigated the portaband saw I bought at the scrap yard. It was in a box of other portaband saws, all clearly scrapped because they have something wrong. This one was labeled "electric cord bad" and wonder of wonders that is what was wrong. I took the cord off the other portaband that I had bought and put it on the latest acquisition. The score now is two bought at $10 each and one working saw.

When I bought the second saw, I also bought a Stanley Baily Joiner plane. It had some surface rust, but nothing bad and the blade is dull. But for one dollar, I just could not resist. Now I need to make a honing guide. Maybe I will hit the Goodwill and get some roller blades for the ball bearings.

Dan