Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B.[_3_] John B.[_3_] is offline

Default simplicity of design vs simple designs OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:35:16 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

John B. on Wed, 11 Sep 2013 18:42:44 +0700 typed

My Lady and I had a similar discussion on "Wants" vs "Needs."
there are only so many things which qualify as true "needs": air
water, food and shelter. Much of what we "need" is really a want. Do
people really "need" cars? Do they need windows, doors and heaters?
(What is the hot sports car, the one which comes without a roof,
radio, heater or other heavy weight adding items?)

Exactly. Without poking a stick in anyone's eye, there was a
discussion here about smelly dish washers and I thought, "I don't
believe that I actually know anyone that has a dishwasher". I asked my
wife and she didn't know anyone either.
I'm now wondering whether we are really living the good life?

The issue is: what is wanted? "Simple transportation" - a
horseless carriage powered by a one cylinder gasoline engine? Or a
car with internal environmental controls, an efficient gasoline
engine, tinted windows with electrical controls?

Exactly. But of course, one needs the ABS system, the tinted windows,
the air con with the his and her's controls, the automatic gearbox,
power steering and a two tone paint job, and all the rest.... to drive
down to the super market to get a box of cereal.

At least that is how the T.V. portrays it :-)

And try to get a car without all the doodads. Or a cell phone. Or
an MP3 player.

"Oh, marketing determined they don't sell."
They don't sell because people can't buy what isn't being made!

Nearly 20 years ago I tried to buy a car in Bangkok, Thailand, without
an automatic transmission and electric windows and was told that "they
don't make those". I asked about the hoards of manual transmission
taxis I see and was told that was a special, fleet, purchase. Might be
right, might be wrong, but I don't believe I've ever seen anyone with
a manual transmission car here. Other then an old banger bought 3rd,
4th, 5th hand.

--
pyotr filipivich

Cheers,