Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Uh Oh, metal related. Gluing glass to metal?

wrote in message
I know that rear view mirrors are glued on, as well as windshields
and
rear windows. They use different glues. Rear view mirror glue is not
good at taking shocks, it's brittle. OTOH, regular windshield glue
is
too soft. A rear window coming off could lead to a disaster so if I
attempt this I need to make sure that can't happen. Last night I
realized the only safe and practical way to make the window openable
is to mount it in a frame exactly the way it is mounted now and
mount
the hinges and latch to the frame. I just laid a straight edge on
the
window and it is curved in both X and Y. Making a frame to match
this
compound curve would probably take me a long time. I should probably
give up on this idea unless I can get one of those pimp my ride type
shows to do it for me. Hmm.....
Eric

Perhaps you could find a rear hatch from a wreck that has at least the
glass area intact and see if you can reasonably fabricate a gasketed
frame to fit the opening. Then your car remains in service.

I suspect that if you taped a cardboard model of the glassless hatch
over the opening you might find access too limited. I found it
difficult to reach the front part of my 78 Accord hatchback's cargo
area without soiling my clothes with the dust or salt that quickly
accumulated on the back.
jsw