Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How to make room light turn on an additional lamp?

" wrote:
On Wednesday, DerbyDad03 wrote

I called HeathCo this morning. The answer I received was that the ballast
in the fluorescents cause issues with the electronics in the 6133 (3 way
switch device) but not in the 6136 (switch-receptacle device).

When I asked about the X-10 trick of adding an incandescent bulb to the
circuit with the fluorescents, he said that it might absorb some of the
induction caused by the ballast but since they can't guarantee it will
work, they can't recommend it.

Obviously I'm free to try it if I so choose.

The X10 trick of adding an incandescent, AFAIK, is for the X10
devices that don't use a neutral. They need some current flow
to power themselves and when hooked up to a CFL they don't get
that. Different from what you're talking about.

I think we may be talking about 2 different things. The issue I was having
with a fluorescent fixture was as follows:

I have an X10 motion detector that controls an X10 appliance module which
is plugged into a standard, grounded receptacle. (The X10 model numbers
escape me right now, but I could get them if needed.) The fluorescent shop
light is plugged into the appliance module.

What would happen is that the motion detector would trigger the appliance
module to turn on, which in turn powered the shop light but the appliance
module would almost immediately turn off, plunging me back into darkness.

Someone in this ng suggested adding a incandescent bulb along with the shop
light, so I added a cheap Christmas candle with one of those little screw
in bulbs and the problem went away. The shop light and candle turn on and
stay on until the motion sensor sends the off signal.

Is that situation related to the "no-neutral€¯ issue that you mentioned?