View Single Post
  #11   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Feedback and Further Update

On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:58:40 AM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
You know what the real problem is, though? Painting! Nice looking wood should be clear coated.

I agree and there is nothing stopping you from doing that; you just have to be willing to keep it up. So, now I'm wondering.

Oh geeze - that's a bad thing... I've shot wood with automotive clear coat in the past (electric guitars), and it was just fine. Automotive clear coat is very resistant to UV rays - -- -Mike-

Maybe there's a happy median, here. The swing's frame is doweled together, no nails, screws, etc, so there's no problem with expansion/contraction affecting the joints, nor was/is there any problem with that woodwork.

The slats are nailed on (different expansion/contraction) and were initially thin enough to flex, when sat on, so the previous finishes were compromised at the nail sites, mostly. I replaced the slats with new thicker ones, but I suspect the nail sites will eventually be compromised, again, and any finish, even the automotive finish, will, again, be compromised at those spots, first.

Maybe, finish the frame with the automotive clear coat (a pint or 2, at most), for a more permanent finish, and simply replace the slats when the spar finish fails. Replacing the slats would be much easier, than trying to strip and/or prep/refinish the old ones. An auto-body shop might spray the frame much cheaper, than my getting (an excess amount of?) supplies and spraying it.

Sonny