Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Feedback and Further Update

"Sonny" wrote in message

On the swing, the wood slats were finished individually,
before installing. That was time consuming. Applying an
epoxy, also, I'm thinking, would take much longer. I'll
give epoxy some consideration, next time around.

The function of epoxy is to hold stuff together. It does that very well.
It would suck as a wood finish for several reasons...

1. It deteriorates rapidly in UV.

2. It would be a bitch to get on and smooth

3. It would be a bitch to get off (see #1 and below).
__________________

I once finished all the bright work - trunk cabin, cockpit, dog house - of a
40' sailboat with polyester resin. Not quite the same as epoxy - polyester
does UV better - but close enough for this comment.

I thinned it with styrene to a brushable consistency and brushed on 3-4
coats. I then wet sanded it to smooth and flat. After that I buffed it to
a high gloss with rubbing compound. All that took a while - a LONG while -
but after I finished it was drop dead gorgeous, shown like a diamond in the
sun. For about a year; then it started cracking/crazing and I sanded it all
off and went back to varnish. That also took a while.

Epoxy would have been less prone to cracking/crazing but it would have
deteriorated from the sun's UV. The moral is, don't use epoxy (or polyester
out in the weather) as a finish.

--

dadiOH