Posted to rec.woodworking
Drew Lawson[_2_] Drew Lawson[_2_] is offline

Default Operation CHICKEN ****

In article
"Mike Marlow" writes:
Drew Lawson wrote:
In article
"Mike Marlow" writes:

Incorrect Drew. The original assertion was that a Home Depot
employee reported that if a customer did not complete a survey, the
employee was subject to disciplinary action. That is completely
different from anything you've suggested.

How is "customer did not complete a survey" completely different
from "what the customer decides to do"?

I'm not certain what you think I've suggested. I've only said that
evaluating employees based on success at pushing the survey is no
different from evaluating the employee for success at suggesting
meal add-ons.

Correct - but that is evaluation of a task assigned which is within the
control of the employee. A reasonable expectation. What had been reported
here is that Home Depot was threatening to write up employees if customers
did not complete some survey. That is an entirely different thing.

How would you evaluate "success at pushing the survey," which you
agreed with above, if not based on whether the customer participates
in the survey?

Pushing
a survey is one thing but it is something entirely different to hold an
employee responsible for a survey that a customer completes in the privacy
of their own home, after visiting a Home Depot, on-line. Or even in the
store for that matter.

If a company rewards employees for achieving levels of customer surveys,
that is one thing. It is something completely different if they punish
employees when customers do not complete the survey.

They are different ends of the same stick. You reward the employee
by assigning hours, while the non-rewarded employee has few or none.
You reward the employee with a pay increase, while the non-rewarded
employee keeps a pay rate that falls behind inflation.

Anyway, I entered this because you were claiming that using survey
metrics in employee evaluations was impossible. I believe all that
can be said on that claim has been said.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.